Costly hospital bills, time and energy lost for family members who have to provide care, and the possibility of a life-threatening fall are all valid reasons why seniors with mobility impairments might consider remodeling their bathrooms. Whether you’re hoping to reduce your need for assistance or simply want to make it easier and safer for your parents or elderly relatives to live independently, here is how you can remodel your bathroom in Vallejo CA.
Bathroom Remodeling Tips to Help With Mobility Challenges
The first thing to consider for a project involving bathroom remodel in Vallejo CA for the elderly is the flooring. It’s important that this be a solid surface, as it can help with stability if you’re using a walker or wheelchair. Tile and linoleum are options but they should be non-slip so that you don’t slip and cause yourself injury.
You may also want to consider installing grab bars in the shower, bathtub, and toilet area. These will allow for an easier way for you to get in and out of these areas as well as preventing accidents from happening if you’re unsteady on your feet or have poor balance due to age-related changes such as arthritis or Parkinson’s Disease.
Finally, make sure there’s enough lighting throughout your bathroom so that all areas are clearly visible at all times. This will ensure safety while also preventing falls during periods of low light like dusk or night time hours when most people take their showers/baths every evening before bedtime.
Improve Safety with Simple Accessibility Upgrades
- Install grab bars in the shower
- Install a raised toilet seat
- Install a new bathtub with a hand-held showerhead
- Install a new medicine cabinet that has storage for over-the-counter medications, first aid supplies and other items that may be used by the elderly homeowner on a regular basis, such as contact lens solution. You’ll also want to make sure that all its doors are easy to open so they don’t cause any strain on your loved one’s hands or arms when they’re trying to get inside it every time they need something inside there.
- If necessary, install grab bars around the sink where possible so your family member doesn’t fall down onto sharp objects such as razors while getting ready each morning before work/school, or just staying up late watching TV.
Add a Walk-In Tub or Shower
A walk-in tub is a great option for older homeowners who are looking to remodel their bathroom. This type of tub will be easier to use than a conventional one, as it will require less bending and lifting. It also makes it easier for seniors to get in and out of the tub because there is no step up into the bathtub itself. Additionally, walk-in tubs have multiple drains so they are easier to clean than traditional bathtubs. Finally, they don’t take up much space in your bathroom space either because they do not need room behind them like standard bathtubs do.
As far as installation goes, if you are comfortable doing the work yourself or hiring someone who specializes in home renovations then installing a walk-in shower shouldn’t be too difficult for anyone over sixty years old, or anyone else.
Which Remodeling Project Should You Tackle First?
Answering this question is essential to your bathroom remodel in Vallejo CA. When determining which bathroom remodeling project to tackle first, consider the following factors:
- Which rooms are most important to you and your family? This should be based on the need for safety, privacy and comfort. For example, if you have a teenage daughter who wants a separate vanity in her room so she can apply makeup with some privacy (without having to sneak into the hallway), then that might be an important project that needs to take precedence over other tasks.
- How much time do you have? If it’s urgent or necessary for one of these rooms or areas of the home before another one gets completed, then by all means, get started on it. You can always come back later and finish up once things have calmed down around here, or better yet, make sure there is someone else who will help out so they don’t catch up with themselves by accident later on down the road.
- What type of work needs done? Is there electrical work involved? Does plumbing need attention as well? If so then do both at once.
These are just a few ideas for your bathroom remodel in Vallejo, CA and converting it from a place you clean to one that is safe to use. Working with the right contractor can help you come up with even more great ideas for the rest of your home.